Thursday, January 29, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Even Before Kids...



This is a birthday card I drew about five years ago for a longtime friend of mine, illustrating how NOT party animals we were now that we were in our thirties. Excited as we'd been about seeing the band Signal Hill again at our local pub on Friday night, we realized the idea of a productive Saturday was more appealing than sticking around for the second set-- whether or not we'd yet heard Barrett's Privateers.

And we didn't even have kids yet!

Fast forward to just a few years back: a few of us had a "Girls' Night Out", but we only got going once the kids were in bed. We commented on how LATE we were going out.

It was eight o'clock.

It was still DAYLIGHT. Look out, Ottawa, wild ones on the town! 

I was never that crazy, I'll admit, but once upon a time, going out at 10:30 was so early, we felt we had to explain our reasoning, as the strobe lights illuminated an otherwise empty room and dance floor-- it was so we could be sure to get a table!

This past New Year's Eve, we had a nice dinner with friends and kids, and we  all packed it in and went home around 8. I'm not sure if I'll ever see midnight on purpose again, especially given that we were apparently already like this before having kids as an excuse. Before the prospect of well-rested tykes raring to go before 7 a.m. threatened us. I appreciated sleep even before I knew what it was to go without it for months. 

So, there you have it. Can't totally blame the kids. I relate to that Friends episode where the guys all try to be party animals, and halfway through the night, they just notice how loud the music was and how tired they are, and just want to have hot water with lemon for their strained voices and call it a night.

Anyway, Happy Throwback Thursday. I must be off, or else I won't be able to fit in an episode of our latest Netflix show before our 9:30 bedtime. 

"Y'know what? We're not sad, we're not sad, we're just not 21 anymore. Y'know? I'm 29 years old, dammit, and I want to sit in a comfortable chair, and watch television, and go to bed at a reasonable hour!" -Chandler (Friends)


No comments:

Post a Comment